History of Carharrack
There is no record of any football side existing
in Carharrack prior to the 1930's. In December of that year Carharrack
Association Football Club was formed and at the inaugural meeting C.H Beauchump
was appointed president with Harry Tredre as the secretary. Over the next few
years that club held many fund raising events, but they do not appear in any
fixture lists within the local newspapers. Presumably the team merely played
friendlies against local opposition.
In September 1931, in order to raise some funds, the club organised a gala day at which involved five local sides. The referees were Carharrack’s own Mr C Treweek and Mr H Birthernbank. The winners… Lanner!
After the Second World War , Roy Leah remembers schoolboy ‘pick up’ sides playing in the field opposite Simmons garage, North Hill.
The present football team dates back to 1965. At the time several lads were the nucleus of a Trewirgie School side which played on a pitch by the cemetery at Trewirgie, were a good mix of talents for a youth side and, under the guidance of Mr Thomas and later Michael Nancarrow, soon acquired Junior League status. In the 1965/66 season the club became Carharrack AFC and by 1970 the football club merged with the Men’s Institute to become part of the Carharrack Sports Club setup, using the club as their headquarters.
Since those early days there have been many ‘highs and lows’.
During a impressive winning streak, 72 matches in succession, the team played in so many end of season cup matches that the Cornwall county football authorities had to make special provision for the Carharrack team to play the Dunn Cup Final at the beginning of the following season.
The team was elected into the Cornwall Combination league in 1970's and continued playing on their rented pitch with its pre fabricated changing rooms and goalposts donated by Mr Roy Wales. However a change of ownership of the field on United Road meant the side how to withdraw from the Combination league after the farmer ploughed up the field midway through the season and no other venue was available.
There was no football team for a couple of seasons and then a side re-applied to enter Junior league football once again. One of the council run pitches at Clijah Croft was used for many years until the current ground at Ting Tang was ready. Carharrack had many successful sides in the Mining league throughout the 90’s winning countless silverware. However, in 1999, the same year the Manchester United achieved their noted treble, Carharrack lads did the same and won the Mining League title (their third in succession), the Dunn Cup and Touch Cup under the guidance of manager Dave Thomas. After failing to gain promotion to senior status the club decided to move across to the Falmouth and Helston Football League were they currently field two sides.
Last season they were often praised for their attractive football and sportsmanship. Firm believers in playing football in the best traditions, this season they are hoping to build on last years and challenge for promotion.