History of Nequay
It is generally thought that Mr G.R.
Card, a master of
The towns club did not play competitive
matches until season 1896/97 when the team were grouped with
A milestone in the history of the club
was in 1921 when Newquay was elected to the Plymouth & District League. In 1922
the Newquay Urban District Council, under pressure from the general public to
provide a football field for the town, sought permission from the Ministry of
Health to lease a piece of land (originally acquired for allotments) to the club
and so from that date Mount Wise has been the home of Newquay Football Club. In
1927, the financial burden of travelling to
In season 1931/32 Newquay Rovers played in the newly formed Cornwall Senior League and in 1935 won both the League and Cup for the first time. The Newquay Club was reformed in April 1946 following the Second World War and the First XI played in the Cornwall Senior League until 1951 when a new senior league was formed, namely the South Western League. The first XI won the title on seven occasions. The Newquay club’s second team stayed in the Senior League until 1959 when the Cornwall Combination League was formed and the reserve team, also founder members have been there ever since.
During the 1980s,
the clubs members raised funds to erect the clubhouse and changing rooms that
are still in use today, floodlight were also added and were opened in 1989 in a
match against West Bromwich Albion. In July 1998, the clubs record attendance of
In 2007 Newquay AFC first XI joined the newly formed South Western League (West Division) when the South Western League merged with the Devon County League. They were runners up in 2008/09 and were eventually crowned champions in 2011/12 thus securing promotion to the Premier Division, Step 6 in the National FA Pyramid, the highest level the club has ever played.