History of Sticker
The earliest that we know of Sticker having a team was 1911, but this is the earliest we have proof of existence. The kit colours were black and amber, a combination which was used right through the various years that football was played in the village, and indeed used in the earlier years of the present set up. The 1911 team continued until 1914 when the Great War intervened.
However with true Cornish
spirit, as soon as Kaiser Bill was dispensed with, Sticker A.F.C was reformed
for the start of the 1920-21 season in the St Austell and District league. It is
interesting to note the season started on 3rd January
and finished on 21st March.
Perhaps it was because only six teams formed the league, namely, Grampound,
A fixture list for the season
1933-34 boasted no fewer than 28 fixtures, with team such as
Bill Kendall was the village postman and the post office was situated on its present site in the village square. Opposite the post office was a small hut where Mr Bill May carried on a shoe repair business. This hut was used as a changing room on match days and the players walked up to the pitch at the top of the hill. The seasons were then much longer starting on the 9th September and finishing on the 28th April. The demise of this phase of our history was again to be on the onset of war, and the club disbanded in 1939.
1948 saw the return of Sticker
to the Cornish footballing world, and the pitch was now situated at Trelowth.
The entrance to the ground was on the sharp left hand corner just before
Trelowth village, and has now been built up. Access to this site is now gained
by via a lane by
At the end of the 1951-52 season the club again folded, this time because of the lack of officials to attend to the administration and fund raising that is the backbone of any organisation. Thankfully, however, the club was to rise again some fourteen years later and enjoy their most successful period in its chequered history.
1966 saw the beginning of the club that currently exists in the village. The first two years were spent on the sloping field next to the old police station.
1968 saw a change of venue for home games when we moved to Ennis Farm. As it can be seen from our honours we have twice won the treble, once in junior football and once in the senior code. Indeed the 1969-70 saw four trophies come to the club. Also, the club as a senior side has won the East Cornwall Premier league twice. In 1981-82 when they won the treble of league, league cup and George Evely cup. The other triumph was in the 1985-86 season.